1. Don’t take any aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Nuprin, Advil), naproxen (Alleve), ketoprofen, prescription anti-inflammatory, or aspirin containing products for two weeks before and one week after your vasectomy.
2. Get an athletic support (jock strap) or compression shorts to bring with you to your procedure. You will put it on immediately after the surgery.
3. Purchase LMX cream.
4. Arrange for a baby sitter for the day of the vasectomy. Make certain you bring someone with you to drive you home after the vasectomy.
5. Shower the night before and again the morning of the vasectomy, each time using half of the provided Hibiclens surgical scrub to wash your entire genital area (everything covered by your underwear plus your upper thighs). Lather up and leave it on for two minutes each time before rinsing it off.
6. Clip the hair on the front of your scrotum to about 1/4 inch with a scissors. Do not shave. Also clip any hair from the sides of the scrotum or groins that projects out over the scrotum. Do this prior to your second washing with Hibiclens.
7. Do not eat, drink, or smoke for four hours prior to your surgery time.
8. One hour before your vasectomy use all the LMX cream, spreading it in a thick layer about the size of a half dollar on the front of your scrotum, just below the base of your penis. Cover it with a small piece of Saran Wrap and leave it on until we remove it just prior to your vasectomy.